Veneer Backing for Edge Banding & Moulding Wrap
When manufacturers choose wood veneers rather than decorative papers for edge bandings or moulding wrap, paper backers can be effective in providing a support network for the thin veneers so they can be cut into strips or long webs for edging. Our latex polymer impregnated papers provide strength and long term stability to veneer laminates, while allowing the flexibility and toughness necessary to wrap without splitting.
Smoother Contours, Cost Savings, Easier Handling, Blemish Concealment
While effectively providing the strength, toughness, and flexibility required of quality veneer backers, Neenah Paper backers also provide a smooth contour on mouldings and facilitate the use of lower cost, thinner veneers. These products provide easier handling on thin veneers and help prevent cracking and splitting. In the case of very thin veneers, the papers can act to hide imperfections in the underlay material and provide a better bonding surface to the wood, thus preventing the veneer from accidentally delaminating from the structural surface.
Lamination Processes and Recommended Backers
In furniture production, veneers are commonly laminated to our backers in either continuous or stationary presses. The presses used for lamination are generally veneer presses achieving up to 300F (149C) and 150 psi. Hot-melt adhesives or contact glues are recommended for these presses. For continuous presses, the recommended product is 0491P0, our high strength, 5 mil flexible backer, which contains a thermoset glue coating. For stationary presses, the product typically recommended is 0783P0, our 10 mil, semi-rigid backer. This product can be heat laminated to the veneer in single or multiple layers without causing the laminates to stick together when they come out of the press.
- Strong - Bonds veneer securely to prevent splitting or peeling
- Flexible - Provides ease of handling during fabrication
- Semi-Rigid - Provides stiffness to prevent splitting and provide break short properties
- Corrective- Hides imperfections in the underlayment
- Durable - Withstands temperature and humidity extremes
- Long Life - Maintains strength throughout life of finished product
- Economical - Allows fabricator to use less expensive materials
- Compatible with:
- Contact and water-based emulsion glues
- Hot-melt adhesives