Veneer Backers for Contour or Combination Faces
Veneer backers are latex saturated papers used in the wood veneer industry where extremes in flexibility, fold, delamination and resistance to tear are required. In this application, the paper backer is applied to furniture or table face areas rather than edges.
A Carrier and a Barrier
The backer is laminated to the veneer to provide added strength to prevent cracking when the veneer is wrapped around contours. This lamination also helps prevent cracking or splitting in the handling of sheets of veneer. Our paper backers not only serve as a carrier for the veneer, but also as a barrier between adhesives, the veneer and surface treatments on the veneer.
Excellent Underlayment for Combination Faces
Veneer backers are also used to provide an underlayment surface for combination or sketch faces, which are made of multiple veneer pieces laid out to form a pattern. A hot iron is used on our glue coated backer to tack the pieces in place. The backer can then be fully bonded to the face in a hot press without slippage of the individual pieces. Because these paper backers are latex impregnated for strength, they can eliminate the use of a more expensive veneer crossband,
Extensive Product Line...and Still Growing!
While our veneer backer product line already includes over 15 standard products, Neenah Paper technology can be used to custom develop products to meet your individual needs. Well-established products include the 10 mil, semi-rigid design (0783P0) and the 5 mil flexible design (0491P0). Both are thermoset glue coated. For contour faces involving rather sharp bends, the 5 mil is generally recommended. Due to their stiffness, the 10 mil semi-rigid designs are recommended for combination faces. We also offer designs without adhesive coatings for in-plant application.
FEATURES & BENEFITS:
- Strong - Bonds veneer securely to prevent splitting or peeling
- Flexible - Provides ease of handling during fabrication
- Semi-Rigid - Provides stiffness to prevent splitting and provide break short properties
- Durable - Withstands temperature and humidity extremes
- Long Life - Maintains strength throughout life of finished product
- Economical - Allows fabricator to use less expensive materials
- Compatible with - Contact glues - water-based emulsion glues - hot-melt adhesives