Cross-band backers provide a durable, flexible backer for exotic face veneer used on upscale furniture and cabinetry. Neenah Paper latex saturated paper backers can effectively replace straight-grain veneer cross-banding in many applications, and they are generally easier to use.
Neenah Paper cross-band backers are engineered to deliver a broad range of performance attributes. They are strong and durable, yet flexible, with the endurance needed to provide years of reliable performance. They provide uniform thickness and random directionality, both important characteristics in maintaining the integrity of the veneer face.
Products recommended for these applications are typically heavy weight, in the 10 to 21 mil range. The Neenah Paper products most commonly recommended are 0463P0 (beige 10 mil) and 7057P0 (beige 21 mil). Other colors are also available.
Cross-band materials are generally applied to the face veneer using cold glue adhesives, such as polyvinyl acetates. They may also be applied with heat-activated thermoplastic or thermoset adhesives. In many cases, customer applied glue lines are the most economical. Neenah Paper cross-band backers work with a wide variety of adhesives.
Neenah Paper has recently developed a recommended system for using fancy veneer faces on furniture. This is comprised of veneer softener, cross-band and hot press recommendations.
Features & Benefits:
- Strong - Delivers the toughness necessary for a long lasting end product
- Durable - Withstands temperature and moisture extremes
- Long Life - Maintains strenghth throughout life of finished product
- Uniform - Ensures even thickness and non-directional fiber orientation throughout
- FSC Certified – LEEDs compatible
- Economical - Allows fabricator to use less expensive materials
- Compatible with:
- Cold glue (i.e., polyvinyl acetate)
- Heat – activated thermoplastic adhesives